“Sea Kayaking Safety & Rescue” is a comprehensive, fully-illustrated manual written by John Lull on how to kayak safely in a wide variety of sea environments—from inland waterways to ocean rock gardens, tide rips, and surf. Rescues that work in the real world of wind and rough water are covered in detail. But this is far more than a book on rescue technique; it covers many important techniques ranging from navigation to risk management. Numerous entertaining anecdotes detailing true events are used to illustrate key points. This book is an excellent reference manual that you will return to time and again, as you continue to develop your kayaking skills and knowledge.
The book is available from Amazon or directly from the publisher (Wilderness Press). It is also available in most kayak retail shops. Retail price is $18.95. Look for the second edition, published in September, 2008.
This book includes practical advice on:
- Basic safety principles for kayaking
- Assisted and self rescues that work in rough water
- Mastering a bombproof “combat roll”
- Refining your backup strategy
- Handling wind, rough water, and currents
- Dealing with boat traffic
- Reading waves and water conditions
- Negotiating surf and rock gardens
- Risk assessment
- Group management and teamwork
- Developing a training and practice regimen
- Fine tuning your strokes (new chapter in 2nd edition)
…and much more!