Legacy

by Nancy Soares on February 1, 2014

Editor’s note: Our featured poet, Katie Whalen, age 14, is the daughter of Tsunami Ranger Dave Whalen. We are reprinting her poem with her permission. Thank you, Katie.

Rhythm
by Katie Whalen

The warmth of the sun-beaten rock soaks into my skin.
My legs dangle off the edge.
Thirty feet below me I gaze upon the pebbles that make up the shore,
smoothed and rounded
by the whirling, washing waves.
Ocean breezes whip my hair and tickle my skin.
Calmness envelops me as my breath falls into time
with the breaking waves
the pulsing wind
the pelicans beating their powerful wings, regal as they land.
I sway to the sea’s music,
knowing I am a part of the rhythm too.
The sun casts glittering diamonds on the rippling water
as it slowly sinks to meet the horizon.
I feel the rugged surface beneath me.
My mind meanders to a startling realization.
I am almost 250 miles away from my house,
yet I still feel deeply at home.
Fuzzy fog cascades out of the majestic purple mountains.
It flows like a waterfall, blanketing the earth.
The song of this place is something
I wish never to forget.

Like this post? Then please help us out and share it on Facebook, Twitter, and elsewhere. And don't miss any Tsunami Rangers posts: subscribe by e-mail or subscribe by RSS. And you can leave a comment below...

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

John Soares February 1, 2014 at 7:12 am

Beautiful poem Katie! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Micaila February 1, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Beautiful poem with vivid imagery! I love the passage;

My mind meanders to a startling realization.
I am almost 250 miles away from my house,
yet I still feel deeply at home.

A very special salute to dad.

Eric J. Soares
August 1, 1953 February 1, 2012
(I guess he was a #1 kind of guy)

Steven King February 3, 2014 at 10:28 am

A wonderful image and poem, thinking about Don Diego every time I see a wave rolling across the sea, especially the big, powerful, beautiful, graceful monsters with sea foam arching towards the heavens!

El Rey

Nancy Soares February 3, 2014 at 11:09 am

Thanks, everyone, for your comments. This weekend was rough but thanks to friends and family for keeping me in mind.

Terri B February 5, 2014 at 4:45 pm

What a lovely poem. Almost hard to believe it was composed by a young lady of 14. It certainly resonates with me although I’m sure it touches you on a more meaningful level. Thanks for sharing. Take care.

Nancy Soares February 20, 2014 at 9:28 am

Once again, I’d like to thank everyone for reading and commenting, not just with regard to this post but all of them. This website was Eric’s baby and he would be so happy to know it’s doing well. On a related note, my son gave me one of those Zen calendars for Xmas. Today’s quote: “The important matter of life and death: everything is impermanent.” – Inscription on a wooden temple bell. Life is impermanent. But if everything is impermanent, so is death.